Monday 13 July 2015

One week in...

So I'm now in my second week on koh phangan at Diamond muay thai, and I feel like I've really settled in here now. Time seems to move strangely here in Thailand- on the one hand, hours and days can fly by, yet I feel like I have been here forever. Everything back home seems so distant, it seems like I've been in Thailand for months already.

The training here is great, I'm really enjoying it now I've started to adapt to the heat and humidity. I'm no longer surrounded by a puddle of sweat 5 minutes into the warm-up! It's still hard, but that's how training should be. I feel like I've improved a number of things already, and also understand why they should be done that way too. The head trainer, Mon, is a Mr Miagi-esque guy who uses a lot of metaphors to get his point home. He also likes to do freestyle pad work, which is one of the reasons I chose tis gym. Usually, a trainer holding pads will call out strikes and combinations for you to throw, but in freestyle you throw what you want and he catches it. It takes incredible reflexes to do, as well as supreme confidence in your ability to catch whatever is thrown. This doesn't mean that Mon is a passive figure during the rounds at all, he keeps you on your toes by throwing stuff back at you and forcing you to defend yourself. He doesn't just tap you either, if you don't defend something, you will feel it.

I will be putting all of this hard work into practice in a couple weeks- I've been signed up to fight on the 27th alongside a few other people from the gym. I've no idea who I am fighting (pretty standard here) but I think it will be a Thai, so it should be a good one. The trainer organising them said he won't be giving me an easy fight, which is good for me as I don't see the point in easy fights. I want to fight to challenge myself, to grow and get better. Beating up a tuk tuk driver who is only in it to make a quick bit of cash won't help me much.

There is a very relaxed atmosphere here, and as it is a small gym everyone mingles together after training. On Saturday, we had a BBQ after training to celebrate a few people's birthdays. Afterwards, we all went out for a few drinks together. It was great to spend time with everyone away from the gym and get to know them a bit more. It also served as a nice cut-off point for any drinking- with 2 full weeks to concentrate on training before my fight.

With Sunday being the day off, I headed out with Paul and Jason for what turned out to be a fairly epic bike ride to find a beach on the other end of the island. The road to it was only half built and contained some crazy hills, which made it a pretty interesting ride. The beach was beautiful and made the long ride well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment